Monday, June 29, 2015

How to Refinish a Dated Bar Cart

Over the winter my stepmom, Sandie, asked me to refinish this cute little bar cart that originally belonged to her grandmother.

 
Ok so "cute" may not be how most would describe it, but there's definite potential. 

 
At eight months pregnant I got to sanding, but don't worry I wore a mask and sanded in a very open space. 

 
I thought for sure I would have this thing sanded in two hours max, but I was waaaaaaay off. As it turns out Sandie's mom had refinished this cart in the seventies-ish and painted this thing to withstand the apocalypse. It took me more than eight hours to sand the cart. I certainly didn't do it all at once, especially being pregnant. 

But once all the sanding was finally done, we took it apart and started painting in the hubby's handmade painting studio. It's green because we had painted a locker cabinet the day before. You can view that project here.


When I say "we" I mean the hubby painted both the locker cabinet and the cart because I was pregnant at the time of painting. So I was safely inside the house, away from any yucky paint smell, probably with my feet up watching TV. Lol, thanks honey!





 Here he is painting!


He even painted me love notes.

Actually, while he painted the cart itself I tackled the hardware. It was pretty discolored and I couldn't justify putting the same hardware back on with a fresh paint job.

 
First, I tried brasso and that did nothing. Second, I used tomato sauce to try to polish it, but the sauce just turned the hardware a pinkish color because these are brass coated and not full brass pieces. Finally, I decided to paint the hardware.
 
 


I used gold leaf paint.

 
 
And I'm super happy with the results. 



Finally, to finish off the cart we added a custom fit mirror to the top. Originally, I bought a mirror for the bottom too, but I didn't like it with both mirrors, it was too blingy. I really wanted to feature the new brass casters and the new drawer pulls that were bought for the cart. (The drawer pulls came in the wrong size so those have yet to be added).

 
I'm super happy with the results. And grateful to my hubby for his awesome paint job.  

 
Oh and here are the casters Sandie bought. She took the cart into the shop and had them sized which is always a great idea to ensure proper fit. They really make the piece in my opinion. I can't wait to add the pulls. I'll post an update picture once that's done. 


 
And what a difference in the look of the hardware. I'm so happy I put all the effort in to get it looking good.





Monday, June 22, 2015

The Stork Has Finally Arrived

This post is really late. The stork actually arrived April 11 with our new bundle of joy. And actually I shouldn't say finally because he came almost a month early. Ok, ok so this post has a terrible title, but the point is here's the new addition to our family.

 
(Photos done by Lana Estrada, check her out)

 
This was me in March, 2015.


 
And here are the boys together.




 We couldn't be happier! More projects to come!!!


Thursday, June 18, 2015

Framed Name Letters

It's definitely been a long while since I've posted. We have lots of updates about what's been going on around here, but I'm working on a different post for that. For now I thought I'd give you a little but fun project to check out. This project could not have been any easier.

As a gift my step mom made my boys these letters.


 

She made them herself, isn't she talented? What a special gift this was. Anyways, these letters were sitting on the dresser in their room, but with all the diaper changing stuff, toys, etc., etc., that's already in there I was constantly moving them into the closet for fear that they would break. But I wanted to display them, so one day the hubby came up with the idea of making a frame for them.
 
 
I went out and bought some cheap molding, cut it to size, and painted it with paint we already had. Then the hubby hung them for me.
 

 
 
I added some command poster adhesive to the back of the letters and hung them inside the frame.
 



(Jakey's room has some funky shadows because of the tree house bed).

The wall above their closets was the perfect space for them. I'm so happy I can safely display them now. And by using the poster adhesive I can take the letters down without having ruined them and I didn't have to put additional holes in the wall. Now that I'm out of school for the summer I might actually have time to blog again. I've definitely been finishing up some projects around here, just haven't had time to blog about them!