Monday, December 8, 2014

How to Build a Pottery Barn Replica Treehouse/Clubhouse/Fort Bed

A few years ago I had seen this treehouse bed in an issue of Pottery Barn and burned it into the back of my memory as a some-day project.
 
 
 
So when it came time to build our son a "big boy" bed I somehow recalled that awesome Pottery Barn bed. I showed it to my hubby and he was immediately on board. We started talking blue prints that night. Before we got too far into the blue prints I decided to hop online and see if there were already blue prints out there for this bed, why re-invent the wheel, right? Luckily, we found them over at http://ana-white.com/2012/05/plans/clubhouse-bed. Because the blue prints are provided on the previous website, I'll just give you an overview of our experience building this bed as opposed to a step by step building guide.  
 
After a few weeks of gathering wood and supplies we started to build.
 
 
Following the blue prints, the build was pretty easy. 


 
There was a lot of measuring, cutting, and sanding. 



And then while putting the back side of the bed together my husband went to rip a couple of the boards on the table saw and ended up chopping the tip of his pinky off! Luckily, there will be no long term damage, but don't forget safety first, it can happen to even the most experienced wood workers!


After we built each piece we would line it up to it's neighbor just to make sure there were no mismatches. We didn't want to put all this effort into building this huge bed only to find out at the end the pieces don't line up.

 


 
After everything was measured, cut, drilled, sanded, etc. we started staining. And there was a lot of staining. You can see here a little stinker jumped in front of the camera. 


 
There was roughly about four solid weekends spent just staining and poly-coating this bed.


 
Seriously!! This bed took about two months to build. This is not for someone looking for a starter project, this project is for the dedicated builder! I will give you some hope in finishing more timely than we did, we only work on the weekends and there were a few weekends we had other plans besides just building this bed. 


 
But still, there was A LOT of staining! And poly-coating. We did one coat of gel stain, Minwax Provincial. And four coats of semi-gloss poly-coat, also by Minwax. 

 
We built the four pieces of the bed individually. The front, back, and two sides. Then we took each piece up to his new big boy room individually and put all four sides together in the room. And here is the finished bed.
 
 
Here's a few shots of the inside with the mattress. 


 

These were hard angles to take pictures. And here's the bottom.

 
You can see the mattress slats, that hold up the mattress.


 
Jake's dad made him this wooden sign with his name on it a few years ago. It had been hanging above his door, when he switched rooms and we took it down, we realized it fit perfectly right above the door.

 
Even Foxy loves his new bed.

 
Jakey now invites everyone over to see his new bed! He loves it! I was worried about the transition from his old room to his new one but there wasn't any reason for concern. He loves his bed and his new room.

 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment