Friday, August 1, 2014

Slab Leak and Re-Piping

 Memorial day weekend started out like any other. Sunny, warm, fun. Off we went to enjoy a Saturday wtih friends, but unfortunately we came home to this...


That is water, leaking upwards from the floor. This is the downstairs bedroom, also known as our office. The room had already been cleared out by the time I took these photos. Our office isn't normally so clutter free. In fact it's usually the most cluttered room in the house.


This was a huge puddle and it kept getting bigger and bigger. Apparently, at some point our pipe obtained a slow leak. And water seeped up through the floor. We don't know how long it had been leaking, it couldn't of been too long. Maybe a day or two before we noticed. But the carpet was wet and soggy. And everything smelled mildewy.


As you can see in the photo below, it spread to more than half the room. These photos were all taken within a couple of hours of each other.


After taking the desk apart, we pulled the carpet and padding up. It's really hard to tell, but all the dark gray is water. Next, we called to get it fixed. After getting some estimates the workers were able to start within three days. So for three days we had to turn the water off and on. Kinda a pain in the butt, however the bigger problem was the lack of living space.


Our house was a mess. First we live in a small place to begin with, but when you empty an entire room into the rest of your house you kinda start to feel like a hoarder. Especially, when we emptied the office. The office is sort of our central hub for everything: crafts, school, books, art supplies, paperwork, the list goes on and on.




We also had to take things off the walls where the workers were going to be putting holes. And we had to empty some closets and under neath every sink. Oh, and the laundry room too. A lot of that was stored upstairs but I don't have any pics.


Then the workers came and started putting holes in our walls. 48 holes in total.


After the holes were made and the new pipe was in, we had to wait three or four days for the city inspector to come out. Luckily, we had water during this time.


Finally, the workers were given the go ahead to start closing holes. They arrive right on time, but my cat freaked and ran right up into one of the holes in the kitchen ceiling. She was in there ALL day. I was so worried she was going to go further into the house somewhere and we'd never get her out. But lucky for me she chose a hole that was a dead end with one way in and one way out. It was a very dramatic incident. The worker suggested taking the saw and cutting around her to make an additional hole to grab her. Jakey suggested calling spiderman. I opted to just wait until that night and let her come out when she was hungry. Sure enough when the workers left, she came right out.


The holes were filled the next day, but then we had to wait a week to paint. At least as this point we were able to put some of our stuff back and clear up some space.

The painting was finally done and a day later new carpet arrived! Yay!

In the end, this experience pushed us to redecorate the office. Which wasn't really super high on our priority list, but it seemed like a good time since everything was cleared out of here anyways. My next post will be our big office reveal and then I will follow up with posts about each individual project. I know this is backwards from how I usually do things, but I think it'll be fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment