Sunday, August 31, 2014

DIY Live Edge Desk With Shelving

Now for the creme de la creme of the office, our custom computer desk. This is going to be a long instructional post so I'll get straight to it....

We started with the base of our old desk. It was still functional and we figured we could just add to it. We like upcycling around here! So we added a piece of wood on either side of the base to make it longer, since this desk would be bigger than our old one.



This is the corner base piece, as you can see in the photo below the two top pieces meet at this corner, so by adding the extra wood we were able to increase the support.


We used our existing black book shelves for the two end bases. These shelves were in the office previoulsy. And we didn't want to lose the shelf space with a bigger desk, so we combined the two to get the best of both worlds!
The bookshelves were originally taller than we wanted for a desk, so the hubby took the top off and used the table saw to cut them down to the height we wanted. We put the top back on the book shelves for added support and then placed the desk top right on top of it.


Here's a view from the other side of the desk. (Nevermind the monster trucks that seem to appear in every picture.)


And the back.


Below is the back where the two pieces of wood meet.


And this view if from the back of the corner, just to give you an idea.


We then painted the entire base of the desk black, we used the same flat black spray paint for the desk as we did for the media console (you can view that post here!) We even painted the bookshelfs. The bookshelfs were already black, but we wanted to ensure the base matched and looked cohesive.


Once the bones of the desk was complete, we started talking cord management. One of the continual issues we had with our old desk was our cats kept playing/sitting on the cords. Also, cords in the office can be a major eyesore. Well, the hubby came up with the brilliant idea of bringing the cords off the ground and attaching them to the underside of the desk.


To make this cord management system dream into a reality, we took a piece of wood and simply screwed velcro straps into it. We also attached a power strip to the board. There are actually two pieces, one for each side of the desk; the long side and the short side. We also painted these boards black to match the base.


And we drilled holes into the base to give the cords a pathway to each side of the desk.


While we were creating cord management we also decided to hide my hubby's computer tower behind one of the bookshelves. The bookshelf on the right side of the desk is pushed forward and a space was created behind the shelf for the computer tower. You can see in the picture below that we added a piece of wood behind the shelf for additional support. (Do you like my hubby's product placement there?)


 We added a piece of wood on the bottom behind the shelf for the computer tower to sit on.


After attaching the tops of the desk we screwed the cord organization boards onto the underside of the top. Here is a view from underneath the desk.


The side of the board with everything attached faces the wall, the empty side faces out. So when you look underneath the desk you don't see any cords, only a black board.


Here is the view from the front of the desk.


We added some cord holes through the top of the desk to allow for computer chargers, lamp cords, etc. A hole was drilled in three different spots: one on the short side in the middle, the corner, and the long side in the middle.


We added these nifty caps that we found at Lowes.


And now for the desk top. We went with a faux live edge. We utilized the same method as The Hunter Interior's tutorial, which you can view here. Pretty much we took a belt sander and went at it.



We used a gel stain for the top. I've never used a gel stain prior to this, but I got to tell you...I won't be going back. The gel stain was easy to put on, easy to wipe the excess, and gave the top a really finished look.




The top of the desk is actually three pieces. The short side is two attached pieces because we needed this side to be wider to match the bookshelf and we couldn't find one piece of wood that wide. So we used two, if you look at the photo below you can see the seam in the middle. But there has been no issue with the seam. 


This desk took about a week to build. The staining and painting took the longest. And it cost less than $100 to make. The three top pieces cost the most. The desk itself is 8 feet long on the longest side and 6 feet long on the shorter side. Because we reused what we had for the base we were able to save some money in wood. The bookshelfs were originally from Walmart at $15 dollars a piece.



Not too shabby for a week of work and less than $100!


And a special thanks to my mom who was in town visiting during this project! We put her to work painting and staining and she did a great job!







2 comments: