After that I got a cheap ($9) piece of plywood that measured 2 feet wide by 4 feet long. Then I cut the outside end of the pallet wood at a 30 degree angle. I went from left to right while cutting. It would have been easier to go straight down but I wanted to make sure each piece fit snuggly. Then I labeled the back of them with sharpie so as not to forget their position.
Next, I painted the plywood black just in case any bit of it could be seen between the cracks.
While my paint dried I sanded the pallet pieces. Be sure to do this away from your paint so you don't get sawdust in your drying paint.
Next, I painted/stained select pieces of pallet wood. I sanded some after painting for a more rustic appeal.
After the paint dried I glued each piece down. Next, I got some strips of corner wood. I have no idea what this is actually called but the wood looks like it has been folded in half, and after cutting to length I glued those into place.
While gluing the border I stained the entire table the final color.
We built the base out of 2X2's. The table is 2 feet wide by 4 feet long by 17 inches high. And I painted it black to make it more aluminum looking. We screwed them together using a kregjig.
Next, we attached the top with some wooden dowels and wood glue. Simply drill a hole the size of the dowel on the table base and on the table top. Insert the dowel, add glue, put together, and clamp!
After 24 hours of drying I added four coats of polycoat to the table. We talked about adding epoxy to the table top because the wood is uneven. But we decided that we really liked the look of the natural wood and to live with it for a while to see how bad the unevenness bugs us.
I am super excited by how it turned out!