Sunday, September 22, 2013

Roadside Assisted Barstools

I wasn't planning on this project and then I found these babies on the side of the road. That's right I am one of those who will drive by, turn around, park, and get out of the car to sneak a peek at the furniture on the curb. Well, we have a bar counter that's never used and could use a couple of barstools, so I guess it was just meant to be.




The base is one of those winding, industrial, screw type bases (I have no idea what this type of base is actually called, but I do know barstools with this type of base can get pretty darn expensive). The bases were very rusty, but I thought they could be salvagable and worse case scenario I would spray paint them. The chair part was in good shape, but I knew I would ditch replace it, so I wasn't really concerned with it's condition anyway. Well, I quickly snatched them up and and threw them in the trunk of my car.

The first thing I was going to do was unscrew the top from the bottom so I could derust the bottom. So I removed the pin in the bottom of the screwy part of the base.




I just took my pliers and yanked that sucker right out. Then I unscrewed and unscrewed and unscrewed. I could not get the top off for the life of me and I have no idea why. I still have no idea why. So onto plan B it was. I removed the chair from the base. 


Super easy. So next, I got to the derusting. I'll teach you my super easy trick for derusting stainless steel in the next post. I feel like if I add it to this post, it would just be too long. 

So even though there was a significant difference and the stools were looking pretty darn good, they just weren't good enough. There were so many knicks and scratches in the stainless steel, I decided to paint them afterall. Although, the derusting gave me a smooth surface to work on. I painted the stoll bases flat black to match the screwy part. I simply used foil to wrap the parts I didn't want painted. 



Why foil you ask? Because plastic bags just weren't working for me on this day. The foil was there and it worked. 
So I went to Lowes to pick up a piece of 2X10 for the chairs, but when I got there after walking up and down the aisle trying to decide if I should go with 2X10 or something bigger I found a simple piece of round wood, pre-cut and about 2 inches thick and 15 inches in diameter and only $7 per piece. Which I later discovered the average barstool is 16 inches in diameter. I would have been way too small with a2X10.  So I brought these round guys home, stained, lacquered, and sanded them before I screwed them onto the stools.



My roadside barstools have turned into designer knock-offs for less than $20 (1 can spray paint, 2 round pieces of wood, I already had the stain and lacquer on hand). So now I will leave you with one last before and after.

Before:


After:




No comments:

Post a Comment