Monday, July 22, 2013

Eleanor: Phase One, Step One

Phase One: Stripping down, Step One: Removing Fabric

As I circled the sofa wondering where in the world I should start I noticed the cording was loose on one side so I yanked it and it came right up. This was as good a starting point as any so I jumped right in.


The cording came up super easy and most of the glue that was used came up with it. I actually used pliers to pull the cording up initially because I was afraid of poking myself with staples, but once I started yanking it up I noticed that it was just held on with glue. I just pulled and a section of the cording would come up and then I would move the pliers done the line and pull up the next section.
After the cording came the fabric. Again I just took the pliers and yanked at a loose corner and worked at the fabric with the pliers until the entire section was removed.



I removed one section of both cording and fabric at a time until the whole sofa was done. I was sure to label each section as if seated in the sofa and saved each piece in the garage because I will use them as templates for the new fabric.

So I did the outside of one arm first, and then the next arm, and followed with the very back of the sofa.
Again, the process was the same and very straight forward, it was just bigger than the sides. Pull the cording off followed by the fabric. 

Lucky for me most of the staples came out when I yanked on the fabric, but I would say a quarter of staples stuck in the wood of the frame. So as I finished each section I took a flat head screw driver, stuck it through the middle of the staple and loosened it up enough to yank it out with my pliers. 




Lifting up the fabric I could see where the front of the back rest and the seat connected at the back. After the back was completely removed I moved to the front of the back rest, again repeating the basic steps: remove cording and then fabric. I also had a little helper throughout this process.








The front of the backrest proved to be the most difficult as of yet because the bottom was tucked underneath and stapled into the back.


So I removed the top and sides of the fabric and then did the bottom. I took my pliers and yanked at each section of fabric where the staple was and most times it came right up. There was a few times I had to get the screw driver and pliers out.
The insides of the arms were the same as the front of the back rest. I removed the cording in one piece. Next, the top and sides of the fabric, followed by the bottom which was tucked underneath to the outside of the arm.

 This is a view from the inside of the arm. The top and sides of the fabric have been removed, the bottom is tucked under the arm.

I had to pull staples out of the bottom of the batting on both arms because I couldn't get to the stapled fabric on the outside without moving the batting out of the way. Because the batting on the couch was still in good shape I tried to leave as many staples in the batting as possible so as not to shift it in any way.


Finally, I took the seat fabric off. This was simple and the fabric came right up. Here is the whole now naked sofa.





This whole process took me about three to four hours. The most time consuming part is removing the staples that are stuck in the wood. As I said most of the staples came up with the fabric, but a good portion still needed to be removed.


Now on with Step Two: sanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment