I would like to say that we came up with the idea and blue prints for this table all on our own, but we didn’t. I came across the blue prints for this table researching another project and fell in love with it. The plans can be found here or here. Why reinvent the wheel when someone else already made a great tutorial. So instead of this being a tutorial I’ll just tell you where we ran into trouble and how we overcame it. Oh and also how we modified are table to suit our aesthetic.
Here we started with the basic build of the ends. We had trouble lining up the boards. Our top boards do not sit flush, we actually had to use some shims in various places to make the top boards sit flush. In hindsight, we should have added the angled boards at the sides last to avoid this problem, but alas we did not. The bases took us about a month to build not because of the difficulty, it’s very easy to follow the plans and build, but because we were working around the kiddo’s schedule. He doesn’t like the sound of the saw and he’s very hands on. So we mainly did our building during his nap times.
Next, we added the long board to the two base pieces and spent an entire week staining and poly-coating.
The table then sat untouched for about two weeks until we got around to getting the pieces for the top. I was worried that the table would look like more of a picnic table than a nice dining table because of the four separate pieces on the top. We discussed the possibility of using one solid piece of plywood for the top, but the wood was not as nice and the table top would be thin and disproportionate to the chunkier bases. In the end we decided the four 2X10’s the original blue prints call for would be best. But Nick’s stepdad had the brilliant idea of cutting just a smidge of the edges of the 2x10’s to help them sit more flush and create more of a solid look, as opposed to four individual pieces of wood.
The other modification we made is on the bottom of the top (if that makes sense) we added some wood slats on either end to help hold all four top pieces flush. We clamped the top to make it as straight as possible and drilled the piece of wood from underneath.
There you have it. The table that only took five months to build! But I would do it again! I love this table and am sooo happy with how it turned out. The best part is we can now fit everyone at our table when we have a BBQ.