Friday, May 3, 2013

Jungle Wall Mural


Designing the nursery is one of the most fun things you get to do while pregnant. We actually moved when my son was two months old, so we didn’t have his nursery ready for a while. But I knew from the very beginning I wanted it to be green instead of the traditional blue. I also knew I wanted to do something fun on the walls, my theme was jungle, so I started searching for ideas. 

I’m not really a fan of the lifelike murals. They can look good, but it’s just not my style. 
I like this idea of doing some sort of animal print on the walls, but his room is kind of small and I didn’t want to be overwhelmed with pattern.



Then I came across this image. 

I loved it! I thought I would just paint the walls of his room green and do the mural in a chocolatey brown. I actually thought this was a stencil that you just buy, tape to the wall, paint and poof you’re done. That’s not at all the case. This is a paint by number deal. The company actually sells them in two sizes and believe it or not I bought the small size. I say believe it or not because it runs the width of an entire wall in his room. But I’m getting ahead of myself. I don’t have pictures of the process because this project was pre-blog, but I will do my best to walk you through it. 

The design came in four different sections that had to be taped to the wall. Just four sheets of giant white paper with the design on the front. Well connected to the back of each sheet was a piece of carbon paper. So once the four sheets were taped to the wall you had to trace the design and the carbon paper allowed the design to be transferred onto the wall. 

The taping was actually kind of hard because they kept falling, the papers were too heavy. Once we finally got them to stay we couldn’t get them to line up exactly so we did the best we could and hoped for the best. As it turned out you don’t need them to line up exactly as you can just match up the lines after tracing. 

The tracing went a lot quicker than I had anticipated. Within an hour I was done. Next came the painting, you would think this would be easy and quick. Wrong. At least in my case I didn’t find it easy or quick. The company sent directions on which types of brushes to use and advised me to paint the outside lines first and then fill in the inside. I should have listened. I didn’t have the brush to do the outside lines so I painted the inside, then traced the outside lines, then filled in the rest of the inside. Yup I created way more work for myself than was necessary. Also I didn’t anticipate needing three coats, but I certainly did. The good news about additional coats is it always gets easier with each additional coat. 



But in the end I couldn’t be happier with the results. My son now has a unique mural, painted by his mama in his room. And I will always have the joy of doing this project for my son!



1 comment:

  1. We were able to see this project at several stages during the process. The end result was amazing, and during this endever she had baby Jacob to take care of, until Nick came home work. Love you, Debbie & Guy

    ReplyDelete